Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pregnancy Update - 32 Weeks

I have made it until 32 weeks! I started having pretty serious contractions last week and went to see my OB who sent me on to the hospital. They gave me a couple doses of Nifedepine in the hospital and gave me the first of 2 shots of a steroid (betamethatsone) to boost the babies' lungs in case they are born early. Matt was in Alabama for work and thankfully my mom was here to help with Graham while I was in the hospital. I was only in the hospital for a few hours and then went back to the OB the next day for a check and the second steroid shot. I was 2cm dilated at the OB on Friday morning.

They gave me a prescription for Nifedepine and told me to rest. It took all day long, many phone calls, and a trip to Clayton to get the prescription filled. Very frustrating.

Matthew came home Saturday evening and then Saturday night my contractions worsened to 5 minutes apart and we went to the hospital. They put me on a magnesium drip for 12 hours and I stayed in the hospital until Tuesday. Thankfully the magnesium wasn't as bad as I was warned it could be. I didn't get nauseous so I was allowed to eat. It just made me feel hot and weak. (So I had to get a catheter.) The magnesium was to help slow contractions and to benefit the babies' brains in case they are born early. I had to miss a baby shower planned by friends on Sunday afternoon which was a huge bummer.

I am home now on bed rest and taking the Nifedepine. I am still having contractions that range from sporadic to every 10 minutes. My mom and Matt's mom and a few friends are helping out with caring for Graham and everything else around here. We are so humbled and thankful for our church friends that are praying, offering to help, and bringing us meals. We are praying that I carry the babies to 36 weeks but every week that they stay in the womb is beneficial.

I hope to post updates on Matt's health and Graham's health soon.

And now a few pics:

The belly at 28 weeks. I need to take a new picture I guess.

A sneak peak at the twins nursery. (the crib bumpers)

1 comment:

  1. Liz,

    My name is Mary Kate White, and I was roommates at UNCG with your cousin, Amanda. She shared your news of expecting twins with me! I am also a twin mom. My husband and I have identical daughters {10 months old}. The girls were born at 29 weeks, 3 days. We live here in Raleigh, and I was admitted to Chapel Hill at 26.5 weeks. Our girls were mono-mono twins, and so we faced the risk of their cords entangling due to the fact they shared an amniotic sac, but had their own umbilical cords. This is what ultimately happened, and I had an emergency c-section on November 11th. The girls were in the NICU for three months at Chapel Hill, but they are perfectly happy and healthy today! I just wanted you to know that I will be praying for you and your family as you continue along this journey. If there is anything that I can do, or if you need someone to talk to please don't hesitate to contact me. I have preemie/ twin resources on my blog: www.thesimplydivineblog.com. I am happy to help you in any way! Take care of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete