Saturday, January 30, 2016

Jesus talks with Graham

Not too long ago a friend's three old child accepted Christ as her Savior. Praise God. This really made me realize that Graham could be getting old enough to understand salvation. Because Graham doesn't speak it is often difficult to know how much he knows and understands. And I have found that I often underestimate him!

So, a fire was lit in my soul to start being more intentional about talking about the gospel with Graham. I mean we have always talked about God and read Bible stories and prayed but that's not the same as teaching the gospel. That we are sinful and that separates us from God and Jesus came and died for us so we can have a relationship with God and spend eternity with Him. Graham's complex health issues make me even more eager to make sure he understands the gospel since we have no idea what the future holds for Graham or when his time on earth may end. What a weighty responsibility! And what a privilege! Graham rarely goes to Sunday School or preschool or anywhere else that will teach him about the Lord. It is up to Matt and I and I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit has burdened me with an urgency to share Christ with my son. I pray you will share my urgency to share Christ with your children.

For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard. And how are they to hear without someone preaching? Romans 10:13-14

Graham has been difficult to get to sleep at night for the last couple of months but we have a routine that is working now which is me rocking him to sleep every night. I decided that instead of being annoyed at this extra work I would use the time to talk to Graham about Christ and to pray over him. So every night after we have completed his lengthy bedtime routine I turn out the light, turn on the sound machine, get Graham and glow worn in my lap and talk to him about Christ as we snuggle. I try my best to explain in three year old terms about salvation and heaven and having a relationship with God. I pray God gives me the words and pray God allows Graham to understand.

“You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. Deuteronomy 11:18-19

Just last week as I was talking to Graham about God, the Holy Spirit guided me to tell Graham that even though he can't talk out loud to mommy and daddy he can talk to God in his head. God knows his thoughts and so he can talk to God without using his lips! He can tell God anything and everything and ask him for help and healing. I almost cried as I was talking to him, realizing as I was speaking what an amazing truth and comfort for Graham this could be if he could understand it. Oh I pray he understands and that God will be an ever-present companion to him!

"Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD, You know it all." Psalm 139:4

It is my desperate prayer that my children become believers at an early age. Please God, remind my soul to take time to teach them about you! If you have experiences or suggestions on teaching toddlers about God I'd love to hear from you!



1 comment:

  1. Wow, thats so awesome Liz. Yes they understand things at a earlier age than we think. Catherine accepted Jesus into her heart when she was 2 (maybe a few months from turning 3), not a big conversation just after reading a book about "The story of Jesus". Sounds bad but I really didn't think much about it because she was only 2. Then when she was alittle over the age of 3 she got really sick, and in talking to her I just mentioned accepting Jesus into her heart. She looks at me and says "Mommy, I already did and you only have to do it one time". Trust me Graham has picked up on what you and Matt do, and talk about. He is VERY smart, I don't doubt at all that he is talking to Jesus in his head and hearing the Lord back. I would just continue to talk to him like you would any other child his age, read the books you would to a kid his age (or even alittle older for him) He gets it all. :)

    ReplyDelete