Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Perspective

Last week, a couple of friends came to visit us in the hospital. They commented about how positive and faithful I seemed to be on the blog. In all honesty, I have really felt the peace of God that surpasses all understanding and I have felt upheld by the prayers of many. But I have also had my moments of frustration, fear, and self-pity. I didn't want to put those moments on the blog because nobody wants to hear "woe-is-me."

The texts, phone calls, facebook comments/likes, visits, meals, gifts, and prayers from friends and family have been so appreciated. I apologize for not returning texts and phone calls as times have been busy. But know that I read every message sent and was grateful for them.

By the end of yesterday I felt like beating my head against a wall. And then I see a toddler waddling down the hallway, bald, with dad following behind pushing an IV pole. On the other end of the 5th floor is the children's cancer unit. I cried. How can I be so upset about a heart surgery and eating issues when some kids have cancer and other crazy health issues? In the room next to ours is a 6 year old who has already had multiple heart surgeries and has been here a month waiting for a transplant. In the PICU we met a family whose down syndrome son had the same surgery as Graham at one month old. We also met a mom whose son was 17 and had heart cancer. This has been no easy journey, but God has been so good to us and Graham's prognosis is very good. I will never know the rest of the story for the families we have met here but I will continue to pray that God will be near to them.

Psalm 33:16-17 "The king is not saved by a might army; a warrior is not delivered by great strength. A horse is a false hope for victory; nor does it deliver anyone by its great strength."

This additional challenge of Graham's eating has left me nothing but to pray for God to make him eat. I can put my hope in the best of doctors and medical practices but they are a false hope for victory. It is the Lord who wins wars and the Lord who heals and the Lord who makes babies eat! Thanks be to God.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear you'll be going home soon!!!

    There's nothing like having a child to make you truly learn what it looks like to "pray constantly," huh?

    ReplyDelete